.In the world of internet business, traffic is the currency. Traffic is a major indicator of the quality of your site content; it shows that visitors to your site find something of value. Traffic is one of the metrics investors, business owners, and advertisers consider before doing business with you. Traffic is easily convertible to revenue for the site owner.
Website owners, therefore, go to great lengths to get traffic to their website. Not just any type of traffic, but quality high-converting traffic. In this article, I’ll walk you through easy to follow steps on one of the best ways to build high-quality traffic, through the use of backlinks.
A backlink to a resource is an incoming link to that resource from external sources. A resource could be a website, webpage, image, video, audio, biography, research finding, etc. Backlinks serve as a reference or citation, showing the origin of particular information, making it authoritative.
The quality and quantity of backlinks to a website are an indication of original, quality content worth noting or sharing. Backlinks are also a metric used by search engines to rank a website in search results. It is assumed that high-quality content will attract lots of quality backlinks, and so those sites will be of great value to searchers.
Based on these, search engines are constantly tweaking their search results to filter out irrelevant backlinks, while ranking those perceived to have relevant backlinks.
How important are backlinks to traffic? Search engines account for more than 50% of generated traffic to a website. Search engines employ backlinks to ranking websites, which in turn affect how your site is ranked in search results.
A good ranking gives your site better exposure, leading to more traffic to your website. Such is the importance of backlinks and companies devise varying tactics (both white hat and black hat) to earn good page ranking.
If you haven’t considered any technique for building backlinks, or have tried in the past but with limited success, you will find this resource of great value. Let’s first enumerate the benefits of backlinks
Investing in inbound links provides the following benefits to you:
- Backlinks are inbound links to a web resource. The higher the backlinks, the better exposure for the web resource! A web page that has 1,000 high-quality backlinks has a better chance of attracting more traffic than a web page with fewer backlinks.
- A high number of backlinks attest to the quality or authenticity of the content on a web page. The fact that a high number of websites are willing to link to a particular content means that they find the content very valuable, and worthy of being shared with their visitors.
- Result in a good page ranking in search engines. Search engines have weights that are attached to every high-quality backlink. A web page with multiple backlinks gets ranked high and more likely to appear at the top of a search page.
Creating High-Quality Content
Content marketing strategy remains the best option for a successful link building campaign. Content marketing refers to the use of high-quality content to position a brand before its audience. It is an approach that seems expensive at the onset but is guaranteed to pay off in the mid to long run.
Here are some tips for creating high-quality content.
- Guest Posting – Contributing your content on other sites is a great way to reach out to new readers, increase your visibility, and create backlinks to your own site. EzineArticles gives you an opportunity to contribute quality content with the option of placing backlinks to your site. When deciding on sites to contribute your content, be sure to find out the weight of their inbound links. Some backlinks have more weight than others, and it would be productive to guest post on those sites.
- Original Content – Let’s be objective here. Why should others link to your content if they already existed somewhere else? A post that is worthy of backlinks should be an original idea, information, or message. Original content could also be a new way of analyzing or delivering already existing information. For example, the internet giant, Google developed a new way to organize information on the web based on relevance to users. This new way of organizing information and displaying the same in web searches has endeared the world’s largest search engine to the hearts of its users.
- Research – Time and resources invested in research will definitely point out to you what’s working and what isn’t. A well-researched content may translate to more words in your post; the accuracy and relevance of the content will make up for whatever extra time your readers spend on it. Using a tested and proven process called “Skyscraper Technique”, so named by Brian Dean of Backlinko, 3 simple steps are followed to find link-worthy content, make something better, and reach out to the right people.
- The use of influencers to spread inbound links across multiple online platforms. One common denominator for creating high-quality content that attracts backlinks is having well-researched content. From your research, you will find out what works, what doesn’t, and what is best for you.
- Post Format – Content comes in different forms and styles, but the ones peculiar to link-worthiness come in particular formats that are worthy of note.
- Length – A well-researched content will most likely be a lengthy article. As long as the article is engaging and has accurate facts, it will be of interest to readers, and other site owners. Study shows that articles with more than 2,000 words have higher backlinks than those below 1,000 words. Content pieces that have more social shares are however shorter but must exceed the 1,000-word mark.
- Exclusive Interviews – Having an Exclusive Interview of a very important personality is a rare treasure. If the interviewee is an interesting person, the likelihood of multiple backlinks is high. Ensure that the interview covers an important or trending topic that is worth reading.
- Biographies – This is a pattern of creating content that appeals to a wide audience, including site owners. Wikipedia has one of the highest collection of biographies in the world, though it’s contents are user-generated. A well researched and accurate biography will attract readers to your content in your site, and from other sites through inbound linking.
- Infographics – Infographics are a great way to graphically display important information and facts. For those who are not graphics inclined, Canva offers templates and tools to create good infographics. You could have one designed and ready for use in 10 minutes.
- Videos – Videos can be used to explain how to do something, air an interview, show animation, funny videos, and facts. Videos can be used to display any kind of information. I have personally linked my articles to videos I found to be of value to my readers.
- Answering Questions – A question and answer session is a link-worthy content. Keep it interesting and straight to the point. You can research other formats that are common to your industry, or appeal to your audience.
Depending on the size of your resources and team, there are a number of options available to you for building backlinks to your site. Below are some ways you can employ without spending much, others will require a significant financial commitment from you. Below are 10 ways you can use for your link building:
- Great Content Marketing Strategy – It has been proven that high-quality links are almost a result of a great and effective content marketing strategy. Whether you decide to go blogging, guest posting on other people’s platforms, go the social media way, forums, or email newsletter. Well planned and executed content marketing strategy attracts the much-needed links to your content.
- Answering Questions on different platforms, networks, forums, social media sites, blogs, and news sites! You are only limited to your creativity. Take advantage of every input of yours to spread links to your website. Your backlinks here and there will add up to something significant if done for a period of time.
- PR through local and national brands! You could grant an interview to a local or national newspaper, which serves as an opportunity to position your site before them. If no interview is forthcoming, you can take the initiative to get a magazine or newspaper that sees your contributions as valuable to society.
- Build Social Proof – This involves sharing your content on popular social media platforms once published. There are social share applications that make sharing easier. Encourage your readers to share your content with contacts if they find it something of value. Social shares will get you more visibility and backlinks from those who find your content worth linking to.
- Direct Outreach – Through every available means online and offline! There are opportunities outside your regular work domain that brings you in contact with people that you can explore. I particularly like the idea of printing my brand on cards, the size of business cards and distributing to new contacts made, or to those within my business circles. I’ve been able to get high profile leads and networks through this. It works also for attracting backlinks to your site.
- Social Advertising – No matter how well-known your brand is, you are probably one click away from the competition. Such is the competitive atmosphere around getting readers’ attention. To help with this, social advertising is a good way to keep you always in the presence of Internet users. Platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, will promote your brand and bring it before your target audience.
- Collaborate on Content production with authors of similar genres. This gives you an opportunity to share your links on the site of your partner. You get high-quality links and also exposure to your partner’s audience while offering the same to her with enounce collaborations, and you find yourself accumulating good quality inbound links to your site.
- Whitepapers are a valuable tool for building backlinks. If your content is in the academic, research, or technology space, you can create a whitepaper to share your information online and offline.
- Engage SEO professionals. Up until now I have shared information that you can easily carry out by yourself. However, there are dedicated professionals whose job is to help you bring in the desired links. This is an option to complement all other efforts by you. Always ensure that you are getting the right person or people for the job, as the internet is filled with lots of spurious claims by self-acclaimed professionals. You would want to ask for previous jobs and references before engaging any SEO professional. You are only limited by your creativity; so get to be creative and see your site swarm with high-quality backlinks and traffic.
- Build Your Personal Brand through consistency and focus. Your site is a brand that has to be consistently invested into. Understand that the profit may not be immediate, but with this kind of outlook you can patiently build it up to any required standard.
In summary, high-quality backlinks attest to the credibility of your site and is a metric used by search engines to rank web pages for search results. A lot of effort and time is needed to accumulate the backlinks that will ensure constant traffic to your site through search engines.
The first step towards building backlinks for your content is research. Find out all you can about your industry, specific niche, what is working, what isn’t working, and how the information gathered will be put into good use. Next is to develop a good content marketing strategy that will see you executing in line with your goals.
Employ any combination of ways to build your backlinks. Note that this phase requires time to come out perfect. Once you have made plans, ensure you follow through until objectives are met.
Would you want to learn more through an integrated online business community how to create quality content that ranks in search engines as well as build high-quality links through your blog content without engaging in black hat SEO? Do not hesitate to learn more about this community through this link.